After passing away of his Guru Shri Ramakrishna, Swami Vivekananda travelled all over India as an itinerant monk for about three years out of which the longest period was spent in Gujarat.
Swamiji came to Vadodara in April, 1892 and stayed in Dilaram Bungalow as a guest of Shri Manibhai Jasbhai, the then Diwan of Vadodara. He discussed with him about the educational system of the state. Swamiji visited the Library and saw the pictures by Ravi Varma in the Laxmi Vilas Palace. Of all the ruling Princes Swamiji had met, he was most impressed with the capacity, patriotism, energy and foresight of H.H. the Gaekwad of Baroda.
It is a matter of great joy that this historic Dilaram Bungalow sanctified by the stay of Swami Vivekananda has been handed over by the Government of Gujarat to the then vice President of Ramakrishna Order Srimat Swami Atmasthanandaji Maharaj on 18th April, 2005, Ramanavmi Day. From that day an official branch of Ramakrishna Math & Ramakrishna Mission started functioning in Vadodara.